The plantation of Newbury was founded as a town in 1635 and is located in the northeastern part of Essex County.
Pawtucket Indians hunted and captured seasonal runs before settlers appeared. As the town grew fishing - weaving - tanning and shoe making as well as small scale ship building became important industries. Farmers would raise cattle and sheep so by 1791 there were over 3000 cattle on the town lands. Around that time the town began to produce woolen goods made from the first American-made wool machines that also included snuff and chaises and slate. The competition from England's woolen mills decreased the emphasis on woolens which led to the production of cotton fabric and was the beginning of a cooperage which is a machine made nail factory and scythe mill. In 1844 James Steam Mills was began and in 1850 the railroads were in town, by 1845 45000 pairs of shoes were made. Soon the economy would swing back into agriculture and by the end of the 19th century there was a large shift into dairying. By 1905 instead of shoes there were 450000 gallons of milk were produced and poultry and eggs became a significant business.
Today, Tendercrop Farm, Colby Farm and others are still thriving.
Newbury, MA Properties
The property listing data and information set forth herein were provided to MLS Property Information Network, Inc. from third party sources, including sellers, lessors and public records, and were compiled by MLS Property Information Network, Inc. The property listing data and information are for the personal, non commercial use of consumers having a good faith interest in purchasing or leasing listed properties of the type displayed to them and may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties which such consumers may have a good faith interest in purchasing or leasing. MLS Property Information Network, Inc. and its subscribers disclaim any and all representations and warranties as to the accuracy of the property listing data and information set forth herein.